Welcome to the Carver Lab genetic test ordering system. If you have a patient with an inherited eye disorder and you are considering ordering a molecular genetic test to confirm a diagnosis, here is a table of genetic tests currently available at the John and Marcia Carver Nonprofit Genetic Testing Laboratory. Please note that the Carver Lab does not perform genetic prenatal testing or testing of asymptomatic minors.
- Fill out an online genetic test requisition form (a separate requisition form is needed for each and every blood sample submitted).
- Once complete, print all forms. Three copies of the Test Requisition will print - one copy for the patient, one copy for your records, and one copy ("Lab Copy" complete with your Medical Professional Authorizing Signature) to be sent to the Carver Lab with the patient's blood sample. Shipping/Billing Instructions will also print. Please note that shipping costs and supplies are the responsibility of the patient/physician.
- Keep your copy of the Test Requisition form for future reference as it will have printed on it your patient's unique "Identifier". Using this number, both you and your patient will be able to keep track of the status of the test online.
- Mail the blood sample(s) along with the completed form(s) and payment to the John and Marcia Carver Nonprofit Genetic Testing Laboratory at the University of Iowa.Payment is expected at this time; you can find our not-for-profit fees online.
If you prefer we bill your facility, indicate this when choosing the billing option. If your billing facility needs a copy of the final report to process payment, the Duplicate Reporting Address field must be completed with the appropriate contact information. Include fax # where report is to be sent. (Stamp/sticker preferred).
- The DNA will be processed immediately after the sample is received. If the concentration of DNA is below 50ng/ul, you may be contacted to send a new sample.
- Genetic testing will take place on the extracted DNA.
- Screening for genetic variations can take any where from four weeks to six months depending on the test requested (see estimated turn around time on the table of tests offered).
- Once testing is complete a written report will be sent to you, the referring physician as well as to the billing facility if the "Duplicate Reporting Address" field is populated correctly. You should not expect any communication until this time.